Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros para ofrecerte una mejor experiencia y servicio. Si continúas navegando, estás aceptando nuestra política de cookies. Pero puedes cambiar la configuración en cualquier momento. Más información


Become a member


Animals affected

Cattles, Birds, Seals, Chinchillas, Minks, Foxes, Rabbits, Coyotes, Raccoons, Coypus, Beavers, Sheep, Goats, Llamas, Pigs, Snakes, Crocodiles, Wolves, Dogs, Cats






The fur and leather industry is dedicated to the production of clothing and accessories made from animal hide and fur. Its origin goes back to prehistoric times and is most probably the oldest means of making clothes.

In the fur and leather industry any animal skin may be used, whether it has fur or not. Normally there are two general criteria that are used to choose the animal, that its hide has a certain quality and that it is sufficiently abundant to be able to maintain sustained production.

The animals which are used most in the leather and fur industry are domestic animals bred for their meat, which means their skin is a by-product. These animals include cows, rabbits, goats and lambs. Skin, as a by-product of the food industry makes up 90% of total consumption. Of the remaining 10%, 8% belong to species bred on farms specifically for their hides and the other 2% are skins of animals taken from the wild (more than 50 species).

In this section we will focus mainly on four products because of the scale of their production: wool, feathers, leather and furs. We will also look at alternatives to use instead of products of animal origin.

Each year over 75 million animals are bred and killed for fashion.

Currently leather, which is mainly obtained from animals farmed for human consumption, is still widely used in clothing. On the other hand the popularity of clothing made of fur has suffered a serious drop in recent years due to the growth in awareness among society for the need to protect certain species (CITES ruling).

Apart from animal skins, feathers are also widely used in winter clothes and bedding due to their insulating properties.


Our action

  • At FAADA we raise awareness and create educational material about the problems regarding the use of animal hides, furs and feathers.

What can you do?

  • Share what you know about the problems associated with using animal skins and feathers with your friends and family. Tell them about the conditions that those animals have to live in, the suffering they endure and the alternatives available.
  • Never buy clothes or accessories made of leather, fur, etc. As well as any other item (rugs, sofas, etc.) made of animal skin. It is always a good idea to check the label or ask before buying. There are several synthetic alternatives which keep you warm at cold temperatures, and they are lightweight and don’t involve the unjust killing of animals.
  • Read the labels of products with leather trimmings. If it does not state clearly its origin and you cannot be sure, don’t buy it. Don’t think that just because it is cheap it will be synthetic. The sales staff always know whether or not the leather or fur is real, ask them - to be on the safe side.
  • Demand leather shops to stop selling leather, or at least separate authentic leather products from the synthetic leather ones, and clearly state its origin.
  • If you receive catalogues from companies selling leather and fur goods, express your rejection politely but clearly.
  • If you have leather or fur products, take them to an animal refuge so that they are used to keep the young warm.

Related causes